UPSC CDS Syllabus & Exam Pattern: Combined Defense Services (CDS) examination is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for recruitment to the Indian Military Academy, Officers Training Academy, Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy. Successful candidates are admitted into the respective Academies after an interview is conducted by the Services Selection Board (SSB).
Union Public Service Commission has been Published the Combined Defence Services Examination notification that Provides Admission for 341 Vacancies in the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Naval Academy (INA), Air Force Academy, and Officers Training Academy (OTA).
CDS Exam Pattern for IMA, INA, and AFA:
|Section||Number of Questions||Duration||Maximum Marks|
|General Knowledge||120||2 Hours||100|
|Elementary Mathematics||100||2 hours||100|
CDS Exam Pattern for OTA (officer’ Training Academy)
|Section||Number of Questions||Duration||Maximum marks|
|General Knowledge||120||2 hours||100|
UPSC CDS Syllabus:
English Syllabus: The question paper is designed to test your understanding of English and workmanlike use of words. Questions in English are from Reading Comprehension, Error Spotting, Synonyms, Antonyms, Para Jumbles, Jumbled Sentences, Sentence Correction and Fill in the Blanks.
General Knowledge Syllabus: General Knowledge includes knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The paper will also include questions on the History of India and Geography of a nature which candidates should be able to answer without special study
Elementary Mathematics Syllabus: Arithmetic, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Mensuration & Statistics.
- Arithmetic: Number System—Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers. Fundamental operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal fractions. Unitary method, time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation. Elementary Number Theory—Division algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, and 11. Multiples and factors. Factorization Theorem. H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm. Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
- Algebra: Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M., Theory of polynomials, solutions of quadratic equations, the relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered). Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns—analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear inequations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or inequations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions. Set language and set notation, Rational expressions and conditional identities, Laws of indices
- Trigonometry: Sine ×, cosine ×, Tangent × when 0° < × < 90° Values of sin ×, cos ×, and tan ×, for ×= 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90° Simple trigonometric identities. Use of trigonometric tables. Simple cases of heights and distances
- Geometry: Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on (i) Properties of angles at a point, (ii) Parallel lines, (iii) Sides and angles of a triangle, (iv) Congruency of triangles, (v) Similar triangles, (vi) Concurrence of medians and altitudes, (vii) Properties of angles, sides, and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle, and square, (viii) Circles and its properties including tangents and normals, (ix) Loci.
- Mensuration: Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangles, and circles. Areas of figures can be split up into these figures (Field Book), Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders, surface area, and volume of spheres.
- Statistics: Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation frequency polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts, etc. Measures of central tendency.
Intelligence and Personality Test:
The SSB procedure consists of two stage Selection processes – stage I and stage II. Only those candidates who clear stage I are permitted to appear for stage II. The details are:-
- Stage I comprises of Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests are Picture Perception Description Test (PP&DT). The candidates will be shortlisted based on the combination of performance in OIR Test and PP&DT.
- Stage II Comprises of Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests and the Conference. These tests are conducted over 4 days. The details of these tests are given on the website www.joinindianarmy.nic.in.
For Latest Updates Follow Us on Instagram – Click Here
The Selection Process for the recruitment of AFA, IMA, INA & Officers Training Academy posts is done on the basis of:
- Written Exam
- SSB Interview/Personality Test
- Document Verification
- Medical Examination
Get the Latest Update Join Us on Telegram – Click Here